Ministry of Tertiary EducationClick on the Downward Arrow to View Details
About This Page
This page tends to highlight some information about the Ministry ranging from its functions, present and past Commissioners, Present and past Permanent Secretaries and Agencies under the Ministry.
About the Ministry
The Ministry of Tertiary Education was established by the Administration of Governor Darius Dickson Ishaku in 2020 and is presently under the leadership of Mr. Edward Baraya who is serving as its 1st pioneer Commissioner.
Functions/Achievements of the Ministry
The Ministry was created primarily for the following functions:
- Advise Government on Agricultural matters.
- Implement Agricultural Development Projects/Programs on behalf of the Government.
- Provision of Farm Inputs.
- Agricultural Extension Work and Farmer Education.
- Preservation, Storage, Quality Control and Marketing of Agricultural Produce.
- Quality Control of Farm Produce to meet International Grades and Standards.
- Implementation of State Buffer Stock Programme.
- Pest Control Services.
- Agricultural Credit Administration.
- Agro Data Collection, Collation and Dissemination.
- Agricultural Mechanization.
- Agricultural Land Protection and Management.
- Promote Cultivation and Varietal Improvement of Crop.
- Promote Livestock Development and Veterinary Services.
- Manpower Development and Capacity Building.
Achievements of the Ministry
The Ministry has achieved a lot since its inception, amongst these are few notable ones worth mentioning:
- Delivering 32,678MT of assorted fertiliser to 326,783 farmers.
- Purchase 1,200MT of Grains for the State
- Buffer Stock Programme.
- Established an Industrial Cotton Grinding Centre in Kurmi Local Government Area.
- Paid Counterpart Funds to FADAMA 2 (5,902,260). FADAMA 3 (46,400,000), and IFAD (37,000,000).
- Achieved 31.6% Recovery on the One Billion naira Commercial Loan.
- Procured 34ND assorted tractors and implements.
- Procured 20 million naira worth of assorted tractor spare parts.
- Procured 2ND heavy Truck heads and 2ND low beds and backup pair.
- The ongoing construction of the Jalingo Abattoir.
- The Jalingo Green House Project.
- Won first prize for Best Tuber captured fish and the overall 3rd best position during the last National Agriculture show in Abuja 2014.
Agencies Under the Ministry
- Taraba State University (TSU).
- College of Education (COE) – Zing.
- Taraba State Polytechnic – Suntai.
- Taraba State Universal Basic Education Board (TSUBEB).
- Mass Education Board.
- Library Board.
- Scholarship Board.
- College of Agriculture (COA).
The Honorable Commissioner
The Hon. Commissioner, Ministry for Tertiary Education – Mr. Edward Baraya.
The Permanent Secretary
Mr. Henry began his educational pursuit at Ndum-Yaji Primary School, Sardauna LGA from 1972 – 1978. He later enrolled into Government Secondary School Gembu between 1978 – 1980 and also attended Government Science Secondary School Donga LGA from 1981 – 1983 after which he proceeded to the College of Preliminary Studies, Yola between 1984 – 1986. He later attended the School of Health Technology, Mubi from 1986 – 1989 and proceeded to the Federal Training Centre for Teachers of Health Science at the University Teaching Hospital, Ibadan where he obtained a Diploma (EHOT Diploma) between 1996 – 1997. He furthered his educational pursuit by enrolling into the University of Nigeria (UNN) where he obtained a B.Sc. HED between 2000 – 2003 and went for his Masters in Health Management at Benue State University between 2012 – 2013.
His Professional Achievements include;
Environmental Health Officer (Environmental Technologist)
Health Education (Educationist)
Health Management (Health Manager)
Other Achievements include;
Head of Department, Environmental Health, 2003 – 2006, 2012 -2014, 2015 – 2017; Taraba state College of Health.
Deputy Provost Academic, Taraba state College of Health Technology, 2014 – 2015.
Deputy Provost Administration, 2019.
Workshops attended include;
Environmental Health Officers National Conference – Yola. October 1988.
Environmental Health Officers National Conference, Damaturu – Yobe state. October 2010.
State Workshop on National Immunization organized by W.H.O in Jalingo.
Curriculum Drafting Workshop – Keffi, Nasarawa state. Organized by West Africa Health Examination Board. 2014.
Publications of Mr. Henry include;
Introduction to Circulatory System for Health Workers. 2005
Fundamental of Environmental Health and Allied Courses. 2006
Contemporary Environmental Health Issues with Questions and Answers. Volume 1 and 2. 2006
Principles of Disease Control and Epidemiology – 2008.
Introduction to Immunity and Immunology – 2012.
Past Permanent Secretaries