The Ministry of Water Resources was created in December 2014 when it was separated from the Ministry of Rural Development. It is currently headed by Barr. Gowon E. Halan as the Honourable Commissioner and Mrs Jemima Nathans as it’s Permanent Secretary.
Functions of the Ministry
The Ministry functions primarily for the following reasons:
- Provide and manage urban water infrastructure in the state.
- Identify and document existing surface and underground water potentials of the state for future systematic harnessing.
- Ensure the supply of potable water for the populace, livestock and industries.
- Provide water for rural communities through the drilling of boreholes, hand-dug wells and harness surface water.
- Ensure that water sources are not polluted.
- Ensure minimal sanitation standards for the rural populace.
- Develop and manage irrigation infrastructure in the state.
- Advise Government on issues relating to all subject matter under the purview of the Ministry.
Agencies in the Ministry
Agencies under this ministry include;
- Taraba State Water Supply Agency and;
- Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Agency
Achievements of the Ministry
Notable achievements by the Ministry includes:
- Production of the Taraba State WASH sector policy.
- Provision of over 2000 hand pump/motorised boreholes across the state.
- Provision of over 1000 hand dug wells, spring and rainwater harnessing in the state.
- Provision of VIP and other improved Sanitary facilities in schools, motor parks, markets etc
- The enhancing connection of public water supplies in urban centres and small towns.
- Enhancing the overall performance of water and sanitation on across the state from mere 33% at the creation of the state to about 55% as at today.
Barrister Gowon Emmanuel
Mrs. Suzy Nathan
|Aliyu Gidado||2014 – 2015|
|Aliyu Legge||2013 – 2014|
|Rebo Usman||2012 – 2013|
|Alhaji Sale Aliyu Mutun-biyu||2013 – 2014|
|Saidu Ajiya Karim||2012 – 2013|
|Mr Manu Gangum||2010 – 2012|
|Dr Mohammed Hamidu||2009 – 2010|
|Zubairu Maiwada||2006 – 2009|
- Taraba State Water Supply Agency.
- Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Agency.