Taraba State Sports Council (TSC) is an Agency under the Ministry.
Functions of the Ministry
- It mobilises, coordinates, monitors and supervises the participation of youths in activities at the Federal, State and Local Government levels.
- Registers voluntary organisations and gives grants to those who have designed activities.
- Coordinates the activities of the State National Youth service Corp (NYSC) and serve as Chairman/Member of the Governing Board of the NYSC.
- Designs, organises State/National youth programmes e.g Youth summit, seminars, conferences, workshops and trainings.
- Design/implement activities, programmes and projects aimed at Youth empowerment.
- Promotes Sports development/ sporting activities generally across the State and particularly among the youths.
- Promotes activities and programmes geared towards imparting good conduct, good behaviour, leadership qualities etc in the State.
- Coordinates activities of all youth organisations in the State.
Achievements of the Ministry:
Achievements of the Ministry include;
- Construction of an Ultra-Modern Stadium (Jolly Nyame Stadium, Jalingo).
- Established a data bank of unemployed youths in the State.
- Hosted the first State youth holiday camping in the State.
- Hosted the first International Youth Week/Youth Day celebration in the State.
- In collaboration with the Federal Ministry of Youth, trained some youths in skills acquisition/empowered them to start their own businesses.
- F.C. Taraba was promoted to play and participate in the prestigious Premier League in 2013/2014 and 2014/2015 league seasons.
- Taraba Queens F.C was also promoted and participated in the Premier League in 2013/2014 and 2014/2015 league seasons.
- Two Tarabans emerged Continental Champions in Africa in Badminton/Lawn Tennis.
- Two Tarabans represented Africa at International competitions in Badminton/Lawn Tennis.
- Five F.C Taraba players were taken to Europe and have secured clubs.
The Hon. Commissioner
Hon. Pst. Gambo Ude Indafo, the Hon. Commissioner of the Ministry was born on the 11th February, 1968 and hails from Donga Local Government Area. He is married with four (4) children.
Pst. Gambo started his educational career at Gayama Primary School from 1977-1983 then he proceeded to Government Secondary School, Bali from 1984-1988 and further enrolled in the University of Calabar from 2008-2012.
He received a Letter of Commendation in 2009 and is a member of Nigerian Association of Social Workers in 2003.
His other achievements include;
- A Circulation Manager (Editorial Board) student union (FSSWE) in 1998.
- Secretary General, Student Union (FSSWE) in 1999.
- Ibbi Local Government Hon. Abubakar Danmasani’s Cup in 2007.
He attended a one-day workshop on programme of events of the Nigeria Association of Social Workers (NASOW), Taraba state chapter, during the National President’s visit and the Inaugural Ceremony of the Local Organizing Committee (LOC) of Annual General Meeting (AGM) tagged ‘Jalingo 2007’.
He has also written a Magazine known as;
- ‘The Mirror of Social Work is Annual, a Student’s Magazine and this is the 10th
- Today’s Youth in Today’s Societies- 1998 (FSSWE).
He enjoys preaching and reading of novels etc.
The Permanent Secretary
Alhaji Abubakar M. Dayama, the Permanent Secretary with the Ministry was born on 17th October, 1960 and hails from Ardo-Kola Local Government Area. He is married with two (2) children.
Alh. Dayama started his educational career at Muhammed Nya Primary School from 1968-1974 then he proceeded to Comprehensive Government Secondary School in 1979 and further enrolled into College of Education, Jalingo and Usman Danfodio University, Sokoto in 1984 and 1990 respectively.
He attended the following workshops;
- Human Resource Management and Development from 14th-16th September, 2000.
- Administration of Public School, 4th-8th May, 1998.
- School Based Planning, Budgeting and Project Management from 30th October-1st November, 2001.
Alh. Dayama also held a Political appointment as Secretary, Primary Education Board.
He enjoys Lawn Tennis.
|Mr. Sadiq Nuhu Bullow||2014-2015|
|Alh. Abdulhadi H. Lau||2011-2014|
|Alh. Danladi M. Gwampo||2007-2011|
|Alh. Tukur Lamido||2004-2007|
|Mal. Husseini A. Modibo||2011-2015|
|Mr. Augustine Saumam||2010-2011|
|Alh. Habu Sani Kona||2008-2010|
|Alh. Ayuba Zakku||2006-2008|
|Mr. Cletus Wui||2005-2006|
|Alh. Tanimu Gado||2004-2005|