The Ministry of Rural Development was established in the Year 1996. It had its First Commissioner as Hon. Musa John in 1997 and Mr Guram Bawa as the Permanent Secretary in 1996.
The Ministry has had 12 Commissioners and 11 Permanent Secretary since its inception. Hon. Alexander Markus is the current Commissioner while Mr. Ayuba A. Z. Dampar is the Permanent Secretary.
The ministry has 6 Directors and 2 Parastatals under which it operates.
- Rural Electrification Board
- Rural Access and Mobility Project Agency (RAMP)
Functions of the Ministry
- Provision of electricity to rural communities not connected to the National Grid.
- Empowerment of rural communities through skills development activities, micro-credit financing and participatory development strategies.
- Promotion of grassroots community participation in self-help projects in addition to provision of grants for self-help projects.
- Encouraging waste to wealth policies.
- Advising the Government on issues relating to all subject matters under the purview of the Ministry.
Achievements of the Ministry
- Purchase and Installation of 1 Nos MVA and 3 Nos 300KVA Transformer at Jalingo Airport.
- Purchase and Installation of 2 Nos transformer in Sunkani and 2 No of Transformer at B/Dutse.
- Rehabilitation of ITC line from Mararaba Kunini to Kunini Town.
- Installation of 4 Nos of Transformer at Bali.
- Smaji Hydro Power (SHP) Kakara Phase II Feasibility and Engineering design.
- Kakara Small Hydro Power.